Cakes are a way of great distraction I have learned. Today I need it most. So I will tell you about a cake that me and Kolya have made on quite a few occasions. Sasha loves this cake too so its all a big celebration really :)
There's nothing complex about the dough although I have never managed to make it the same. Because frankly I can never keep to guidelines even if the recipe is good.
Here are the basics:
125g plain flour
50g ground almonds (we've made it by just using 175g ground almonds and it takes great!)
100g butter
100g farm cheese (you can use quark or even Total Greek Yogurt but the texture will be less sturdy)
1 egg
200g sour cream
3 egg yokes
1 vanilla pod or a tsp of vanilla extract (the good stuff)
60g sugar
200g blueberries
Place the flower, ground almonds (or just the almonds if you choose to make a flourless cake), butter and farm cheese into a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and roughly cut the ingredients with a knife. Make a well and place an egg inside the well. Mix together.
The dough should come together into a soft ball. Take it out and place it onto a floured surface. (if you are using yogurt or quark this will not be an easy task: instead take out the ball, wrap it in clingfilm and place into the freezer for about 15-20 minutes) If you are using farm cheese you can still wrap it up and place the dough into the freezer for 5-10 mins.
Roll out and carefully arrange in a baking dish.
Whisk the sour cream with the 3 yokes, vanilla and sugar in a small bowl but don't beat it.
Pour atop of the rolled out dough into the baking dish. Throw in the blueberries.
Bake at 180C for about an hour or until golden.
Et voila! Its amazing.

