31 May 2011

NUTTY.



The recipe is here although I added the chocolate glaze (equal part melted dark chocolate and melted butter mixed together: I used about 200g of each) on top as I simply couldnt go into the depths of making a proper glaze which she describes. The choux pastry was amazing. A great recipe- but the cream was WAY too fattening and sugary for my taste. Must perfect at some point.

choux pastry:
100g unsalted butter
180ml water
a pinch of salt
200g plain flour
5 eggs (300g)

Put 100g butter, 180ml water, pinch of salt in a small pan and bring to the boil
Add all the flour (you can sieve it for a smoother texture) and mix well
The flour must cook through and the dough form into a ball, so dont take off the heat immediately, rather mix on a low heat
Once the ball forms transform into a ball and let it cool
Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and slowly add them to the dough with a mixer
Take a teaspoon and spoon out 30 balls (I made 34 and they were quite big so I would aim for 40) onto a baking sheet. (make sure to leave enough room between them as they spread and grow)
Bake at 220C for 10 mins and then at 180C for 20/25min. Watch them as you oven settings might differ. They should be quite firm but not burned.

You can fill them with something simple like custard or whipped cream and dip them in the chocolate glaze. I shall come back with a better cream recipe.